SmartIQ regularly releases updates for the following:
- Major Upgrades – Every six months (approximately), SmartIQ releases major feature updates, which is reflected by the change in the major version number. For example, version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and so on.
- Minor Upgrades – Every two weeks (approximately), SmartIQ releases minor feature updates or security patches, which is reflected by the change in the minor version number. For example, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and so on.
No action needs to be taken for customers on cloud deployments hosted by Smart Communications as the environment should always have the latest version.
For customers on self-hosted deployments (either in the cloud or on-premise), there are several approaches that you can take when planning upgrades:
Whatever option is selected, always upgrade a test environment first before deploying to the production environment.
This approach prioritizes stability by minimizing downtime due to updates as well as minimizing exposure to unidentified bugs.
This is the recommended approach for a more stable Production environment.
To do this:
- Deploy and upgrade to the latest version of the previous major version. For example, the current major version is v2, deploy and upgrade to the latest versions of v1.
- Upon release of another major version, upgrade to the most recent patch of the previous version available. For example, SmartIQ released v3, upgrade to the latest release of v2.
- After upgrading to the latest release of v2, keep up to date with security patches.
This approach prioritizes access to new features, which are only available in the latest major release, but also requires frequent updates as well as the possibility of encountering bugs after updating.
To do this, deploy and upgrade to the new versions and releases as soon as they become available, on a two-week cycle (approximately).
Always review the release notes from the Smart Communications Community and choose to skip or not implement a particular version based on the information provided.
Combine the approaches according to your needs, especially during the early phases of a project, for a more stable and feature-rich environment.
Updated about 1 month ago